Re: [IGSROBIN] where did they all come from? What am I getting myself into????

If your bees in El Cajon have been as busy as you say you might get a
few surprises. Even at last night's meeting I heard about strange
crosses of species with Regals and of species with Angels.  The more I
hear the more I realize how ill-defined the background of some of our
best plants are. So, from my view I'd say try germinating some of these
chance crosses and you'll be sure to find something.

On that subject you say Unk 202 has Unique in its background. So, it is
a cross between a Regal and ?

At least I feel happier that we're not trying to sound botanically pure.
The pot has been well stirred by now! Regal strains are uncertain,
Angels are uncertain and it seems you just have to go on judgment. I
presume somebody has defined what is what for Show Judging purposes even
if they do not have the full pedigree background.

There may be more seeds than normal because of the cooler weather, which
keeps blooms lasting better rather than just drying up. Have bees been
making a comeback after the major losses in the past few years? What
will happen when the killer strain arrives?

San Diego, California

Cynthia said:
"What I have noticed in the garden this year, is an explosion of seed
production. I wonder if this "La Nina " has be a contributing factor,
in the abundance of seed with help from the bees.
        Growing Regals by seed hasn't been something I've tried as of
yet. I
am almost afraid to see what my bees have done! Is it worth my time? Or
should I not go there and just make the traditional cuttings for
back-ups and
some for the sale and show?
Do I take the next path or play it safe?
        I will be at the meeting tonight with my Unk 202 for you. I know
has Polka in it and maybe Red Halo....these are Regal Uniques. Maybe
there is
a name out there for Unknown 202."