Re: [IGSROBIN] Spring species

Dear Robin,

The plant is still small but by the end of the season there should be enough
seed to share. Glad to! By the way, on rechecking my sources it came from
Aridlands in Tucson, Arizona.

Interesting to hear that these desert-like pels grow in humid Florida. If
you treat them as winter growers and let them go dormant in summer I'd guess
they would avoid a lot of the problems. Your winters are 'relatively dry'.
Do the plants suffer from scale or whitefly there?

San Diego, California

You wrote:

"If you take the desert species, and put them in a more hospitible
environment with greater access to nutrients they thrive.  Bigger and

Also, since the species are sexually propogated, and not clones like the
hybrids, they have a much greater degree of genetic variability.  My source
book karooicum, for example, lists the flowers as ranging from white to
yellow, with variable streaking.  I think you got a good one!  Save the
seeds and share!"