Re: [IGSROBIN] Distilling oil from pellies

Hi Cindi,

> First off, I would like to set the record straight.  I'll have you
know that
> it's a bone chilling 52 degrees F in San Diego tonight.

Hey it almost got up to 60 here today :-)

>But, that isn't taking into account the palm factor.  Everyone hears
the >midwesterners whining about
> their windchill factors and the lake factors, but we brave
Californians >never say a word about the palm factor, and that's 'cause
we're tough!
I'm glad you never say a word about this <chuckle>

> wind whips through the palm fronds, it drops the regular temperature
by at
> least 30 degrees.  I'm surprised that a plantsman like yourself wasn't
>aware of the phenomenon.

Oppppsss I guess I was asleep that day in my Meteorlogical affects of
Plants 101 classs . I guess it is a really good thing that we don't have
those palm growing along the uppe Mississippi or Lake Michigan. NO
telling how that would zone variations. We might now even beable to grow
the hardy plants that we grow now if we had that here.

> How do you distill oil from the rose pellies?   Have you done any with
the >apple or nutmeg scenteds?

I found a brand new water distiller at the local GoodWill store and was
able to pick it up for either $5 or $10 (It was priced at $10 but I
think I had a 1/2 off coupon that day) . That was a real Godsend in my
book.  The trick is to fill the distiller with as many leaves and as
little water (jut enough to get the job done) and let the steam pull the
oils from the leaves and bring it through the condesation tube . Usually
it is weak the first time through but then you do the same thing again
with the same water and it just keeps getting stronger. There is a way
to extract the EOs (essential oil) from the Water when you decide you
are done but I haven't figured that out yet. since the oils stay on thop
of the solution for the most part I try to syphon the top layers off  I
end up with 2 different strengths of floral waters after that .  I
haven't played with any other species yet but plan to this year. I am
still in the learning and experimenting stage of that area. I was using
Lemon verbena this last year and Fringe Lavender too as well as the P.
Graveolens. I hope to work with Mabel Grey and Roger's Delight, Rober's
Lemon Rose, and the Apples and nutmegs this season as time permits.

> And how do you make the moisturizing formulas?>

Well there are two basic ways. First off, (don't know if you realize
this or not, I didn't before I started working with soapmaking) almost
all commercial soap manufactures extract the glycerin that forms from
the reaction between the lye and the fat. Lye + Fat or oils = soap +
glycerin (keeping it simple) They take that glycerine and use it for the
medicinal, cosmetic, and explosive (dynamite uses it) industry. So right
off the bat, handmade soap gives you glycerine that you don't get in
commercial soap.
When you make a formula , it is best to not figure the saponification
values so close to complete fat conversion that there is a posibility of
having some free lye left over so I figure for a margin of about 5%
extra oils after the reaction occurs. I also use various percentages of
oils that are known for their moisturizing properties such as cocoa
butter, Sweet almond oil, olive oil, and castor oil. Even when these are
totally converted to soap, they form a more moisturizing soap than say
palm and coconut oils alone would.(BTW, do you know how Palmolive got
it's name?  Palm & olive.. Here is another one of those palm factors
<VBG>)
So that is your first lesson in soap making . Forgive the long winded
off topic but I do blend it with my scented Pellies sometimes <G>

I will be glad to share more upon request. (Diane I will respond to your
private email on tomorrow. )

Oh BTW, I just got a new Logees catalog in the mail and they have gone
back to having the sections of Zonals, Ivies, Regals , and a large
section of
scenteds with very nice glossy pictures. Their prices are a little high
but they do have some nice plants.

TTYL,
Dale
 TTYL,