Re: Triste

  • Subject: Re: Triste
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:30:58 -0600

>BlankHello - I wonder if anyone could give advice on propagating P.triste.
>
>Gwen

I've pasted below a couple of items I saved from several years ago (on
Fat-Plants I believe..).  I grew two triste's for a year but discarded them
to concentrate on hybrids in my limited space.  An interesting plant
however.
 Maria

>Pelargonium triste was the  first  Pelargonium species   introduced into
>cultivation.  It  has  a very   large   branched tuber   from which
>the annual flowering branches  and  leaves
are   produced. It  is  native  to  the Western   Cape
and  Southern  Cape areas   of   South  Africa, growing  in sandy soils.
It is a very  variable species.

>A  full grown plant is large, up  to  1  meter 3 feet) across.
Leaves are carrot  like,  being quite   finely divided,   and   very
hairy.     Flowers   are produced    on branched  stems,  and
are   variable from   almost   all yellow   through yellow     with
slight      brownish patches  on  the  lower   petals.   Easily  propagated
from  seed,  but   even easier   by   tuber   divisions. This species
should  be  grown  in  a  large container, as  the  tuberous  root  system
is very  large,  and  a  plant  will never  reach  the  beauty   of   a
mature  plant  in   a   small   container.
Plants  that  are   watered   all   year  tend   to   struggle   and
make    very weak  growth.   They   should   be   allowed dormancy
during     summer.