Re: Triste

I have Triste. I've been growing this plant in my yard and in  pots for over
20 years now. The secret to growing this plant is to water it in  the winter
time, let the bloom, let it seed then stop watering it all  together for a good
five months. This means total dormancy in the summer  months.Forget that you
have this plant during this time. By October,  check your plant out, say hi to
it, and, give it a little water.  As the fall season draws nearer towards
Winter water more. Never over water  this plant, always let the water drain out
of the pot well in between each  water sections. This plant can still die from
over watering even when  it's  out of dormancy. Standing water kills these
South African  species.

So, as soon as the foliage starts to appear ( it's starting to come out of
it's dormancy)  water regularly for a month, pulling away sightly the  watering
routine. When seed production is in full swing stop watering.  Right now my
P.Triste's are in bloom. By June, I will no longer water the potted  plants.
Those P. Triste's that are in the ground are totally watered by our  natural
rain fall. We have almost no rain in the summer so they are very happy
naturalized here in Southern California.

Cynthia Pardoe