  • Subject: Clarification
  • From: "Laurie AE O'Meara" Laurie@LAEOM.COM
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:01:48 -0500

Hi Everyone :)  I just want to clarify something :)  First, it does seem I
misinterpreted the use of the term "US Membership" in David's post.  The
explanation about the US vs. the other geographical areas of membership
seems to be of common knowledge to some, but I had no way of knowing who
everyone was on the list and where they lived, nor how active any one may be
in IGS or the list.  I only have the posts to go by, so had no idea this
list was actually more of a USA Geranium Society.  I know the option to
search the database is there, but frankly I don't feel I need to know
everyone who has signed up to the list. I don't know that a search like that
would tell me the country anyway, and like I said, why would that matter to
me?  I just wanted to talk about plants.So, now it seems that this list is
more active in the Southern California area, but again, I had no way of
knowing that in advance.  Regarding the word "private" in regard to this
list.  I did not mean that as an insult to David or the list in general.
The word private did not bother me as much as the grouping of only US
members,and as I do run a list myself, I understand the job of a moderator.
I meant the list was private because it seemed it was not an official IGS
list. For example, my list is "privately run" and not an official anything.
As I said, I misinterpreted David's post, and a lot of the information about
members, who they are , how active they are, etc. is more "political" (used
very loosely), it seems, than I want to get.  I simply wish that all
members, all over the globe, would work together to make both the IGS and
the Robin as gratifying for its members as possible.  I do think all members
should have a vote, no matter where they live.  I also think this society is
run differently from what I am used to so I am just going to be quiet.

One note- David mentioned I started my list around the same time I joined
this one.  In actuality I started my list about two days before I even knew
this one existed.  Had I known about this list first, I may not have started
one.  But, at the time I found IGS, I had members already joined, and so I
felt we could work together to promote geraniums, both lists, all people who
love the plants.

I apologize if my posts of late have bothered anyone.