Re: feeding sp Pelargoniums

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ingrid" <alfmike@ALGONET.SE>

Hi Ingrid and all,

> This Spring I bought some P ferulaceum seeds from a firm in England,
> gave some to a friend. Lots germinated...for both him and me.
> I gro my pels in a very fast draining medium, I seldom feed them,
> perhaps once or twice a year, and they stay small and puny for some
> time.

This one has always been a puzzle to me since P. ferulaceum according to the
"Geranium family species checklist" is not a valid name and is really a
synonym to P. carnosum.  "...botanically it is not suffieciently different
to warrant any status.... It can retain this name as a cultivar... P.,
carnosum 'Ferulaceum'..."  Ok the plants I have as P. carnosum ferulaceum
have the leaf and flower of carnosum but the growth form is leggier and
though it has great narly roots it is not as chunky in stem as carnosum.

> My friend has uprooted his plant to photograph the roots for us (
> isn't he a dear) please take a look at;
> http://hem.spray.se/karsbo/Pelroots.jpg
> and wonders if this may help some more in the identification of his plant.

Hard to tell from the picture but my first guess is that it is not what I
have as 'ferulaceum'  the stem is not as chunky nor are the roots but even
more so it looks like the leaf is fully ovate.  The leaves should be
pinnately divided.

Keep Growing
Pete Liekkio
Seattle, Washington