Re: Diploids Etc

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Diploids Etc
  • From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@CTS.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:17:30 -0700

The production of fertile pollen is very rare, at least in most
plants. However a triploid can be treated with colchicine to get a
hexaploid (6N) which is usually at least partly fertile. These
sometime can be backcrossed with the diploid or tetraploid parent and
produce some fertile offspring.  Interesting things can happen since
genes are sometimes transferred to other chromomes. With luck you may
get useful material transferred from one specie to another. Not often.