Re: Miller tetraploid dwarf zonals

Greetings,
    I am not familiar with Miller's tetraploid dwarf zonals. Here in Southern
California we have access to the Gamble tetraploid zonals and Kidson
tetraploid cultivars. Oh and of course the Polatschek Brothers cultivars. Of
course not all these tetraploid zonals are dwarf, but they tend to be very
compact, bushy in character, with thick-stemmed and short-jointed growth
habits.
     The Highfield series is one of my favorite tetraploid zonals. They are
excellent in both container growing and in the ground. The umbels are usually
exceptionally large. My favorite is Highfield's Attracta one of
GAMBLE'S(1971). It has of course a large floret umbel of pale white shading
that goes into a darker salmon-pink center and finishes off with a picotee
edging. Sometimes they can be as large as 9" to 10 inches across. I'm not
kidding! With 200 florets on an umbel! A real eye catcher in the garden.
    Anyone else grow tetraploid zonals? Also, would be interested in knowing
what Miller has come up with.

Time to prune back!
Cheers!
Cynthia Pardoe