Re: Celeste and Sharon Louise

Sandy Connerley wrote: << One is named Celeste, and is a white, single
dwarf. I cannot find a reference to it in any book or any old catalog
that I have and would love to find a reference to see if it is correctly
named.  Does anyone know? >>

The only "Celeste" I have in my files is a single zonal normal size,
flower pallid reddish pink with a soft red ring. leaf is gold with light
brown zone and the breeder is Ruby Holmes, Castle Hill, New South Wales,
Australia. But that is surely another one than yours!

<< Also, I purchased Sharon Louise, a miniature, from P&J Greenhouses in
British Columbia. It is listed as a miniature, double white flower with
magenta edge by West. The only other place Sharon Louise is listed that
I can find is in Wendy and Ron Mitchell's listing without any
descriptions. The plant I received is double darker bright pink with
white eye. I was wondering if the description in P&J is incorrect or if
I have received the wrong plant. >>

What I have on Sharon Louise (source: several UK catalogs where the
plant is listed so fairly reliable I think as the plant is UK-bred) is:
Sharon Louise, white flower with magenta edge. Zonal, double flower,
miniature size. Leaf dark green. Bred by Brian West, Seaview, Isle of
Wight, Great Britain

<< Thirdly, does anyone know if there is an article on Brian West and
his creations? >>

The only thing I know he is still breeding most likely since the latest
entries in my files are zonals he bred in 1997 in the UK and that were
launched by nurseries in 1998 (my last visit to the UK)
--
Mimy Sluiter
cats: <http://welcome.to/Manx> mailto:manx1@wxs.nl