Re: IGSROBIN Digest - 12 Sep 2002 to 13 Sep 2002 (#2002-114)

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] IGSROBIN Digest - 12 Sep 2002 to 13 Sep 2002 (#2002-114)
  • From: "Laurie AE O'Meara" Laurie@LAEOM.COM
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 01:21:39 -0400

Hi Ed :)  Yes you are right about the African Violet Society Magazine (AVM)
being larger than GATW- this latest issue has 64 pages, but only 8 of which
are full color.  This issue also is slightly larger than normal because it
has a listing supplement (16 pages)of all the AVSA affiliated Clubs ,
Judges, and Commercial vendors. It is in 8 1/2 x 11 format.

I wasn't suggesting  IGS increase their dues, or change anything about GATW,
but just listing AVSA dues as a comparison.  Here are some others for
comparison, and I think IGS/GATW is a wonderful value:
The Cactus and Succulent Society is 35.00 per year (2 bi-monthly
publications, one B&W, one color, small format), Mass Hort Society is 35.00
(one color newsletter, published regularly, and ticket and vendor discounts,
8 1/2 x 11 format), American Orchid Society is 40.00 (one color magazine
published monthly, 100 pgs, many color, small format)
Regarding the AVSA software program- here's a link to see a sample of it -
I think the initial programming is a fairly basic program (but am not sure,
as I am not a programmer); I believe the update was time consuming in
inserting all the photos. By clicking on "features" at this link, you'll see
a sample page. It is really a listing of all registered cultivars, as the
AVSA is the registration body for African Violets.

I love the idea of a CD of  GATW back issues, and would be interested in
buying one if it were to be available.