Blue Sky Idea - Geranium Festival

  • Subject: Blue Sky Idea - Geranium Festival
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:08:44 EDT

I'm back!
 It's 1:30 in the morning and Ican't even count sheep because all I see is
blue sky. :)
Pardon me while I ramble!
I didn't mean to exclude a Geranium Show from this hypothetical spring
Geranium Festival. On the contrary, geraniums should be emphasised. The show
can go on in a building adjacent to the outdoor part, or in a tent in the
middle of the festival. How much would a tent cost? I would gestimate maybe
the cost of labor, at most. Make a deal w/a party store. They supply the tent
free for the first annual festival, and they will be used for subsequent
festivals, if their price is fairly competitive and reasonable. Also let them
know that the festival and the show are expected to get bigger, which could
mean more tents.
The plant sale should go well. Allow commercial ventures to sell larger
plants, while the main club emphasis is on selling plants to get people
started in geraniums.  Allow only geraniums to be sold - no other plants. Art
and craft exhibitors have two choices: for a set price per given area, they
can set up a "booth" (you regulate what it can look like) and sell their
wares. Exhibitors can also enter a contest (hey, there's another fee for
that). Best entries in art, photography, pottery, etc., will receive prizes
or trophy's awarded. Money for that will come from entrance fees. All entries
must have something to do w/geraniums. You could even have another contest
with people submitting their best food recipes using geraniums
as an ingredient. This can go on and on... Of course you have to have a
poster for the event! Why not involve the local colleges. Have art students
vie for the privelege of having their artwork become the poster for the First
Annual Geranium Festival. The winner could be narrowed down by an art teacher
and picked by someone from the club. While you're at it, the art department
could produce the posters for the cost of supplies. And you need to sell tee
shirts with a depiction of the winning poster. You control the poster and tee
shirt design - nothing else can be sold at the event that says "First Annual
Ger......" without club approval in writing. Well, I can only take this idea
stuff so far. It's time for others to step up.

To paraphrase what I wrote previously, it's time to move ahead or go to
sleep! My job is done (for the time being) - I'm going to sleep!