Re: The Pelargonium Breeder ?

  • Subject: Re: The Pelargonium Breeder ?
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:14:00 EDT

Hi Barry and all-

 Barry, please don't look at is as volunteering you for a "Dear Abby" type
column. It was more wishful thinking on my part, hoping we could get your
valuable input, not necessarily in that type column, should this project fly.
I really think questions asked should be forwarded to several "experts".
Sometimes one person may explain something better, while at other times two
or more people may give a more complete answer. Whatever form is used, I
think the author(s) of said info should be given credit.

 I personally would like to see the breeders group as an offshoot of the IGS,
similar to the ties the Geraniaceae Group has in the UK. Some advantages to
the group: publicity and a voice in GATW, in the form of regular updates on
breeder group info, etc. Some advantages to IGS: a possible new source of
revenue and the right to use anything published  in TPB (or whatever it would
be called) in GATW. This could then , in turn, generate more interest in the
breeders group. There would be no competition between the two. Makes sense to

I've taken the liberty of contacting the two yahoo groups,
geraniumsandpelargoniums, and
pelargonium. I believe the idea is to appeal to as many people as possible,
novice and experienced breeder alike. While the Yahoo pelargonium group
specializes in pelargonium species, many members are certainly into breeding,
whether it be selfing plants or attempting to produce interspecific hybrids.
Haven't heard anything back yet, from this group, but I can contact some
individual members. There are some very knowledgeable people in this group!

The question then becomes, do we want to limit this proposed group to
strictly pelargoniums, or would it make more sense to include other members
of the geranium family. I personally feel that we should not become "The
Pelargonium Breeder" but should be "The Geranium Breeder". Not only would
that appeal to a wider audience, but it might widen our individual interests
also. In the interest of preserving history, maybe we should let those 8
editions of The Pelargonium Breeder stand alone, and simply fashion our
newsletter after it.  Comments?

That's the dream. The reality is that it is still too early to say whether
this project will fly. We certainly have a handful of enthusiastic people who
can't get enough info on hybridizing, and are looking to absorb whatever
tidbit they (myself included) can get ahold of. But the leaders in the field,
the experts, have to be contacted to determine if they are willing to share
some of their time and information. I'm working on a partial list of proposed
contributors now - please feel free to make suggestions.