Re: Coincidence Or?

  • Subject: Re: Coincidence Or?
  • From: Cynthia Pardoe RegalArt@AOL.COM
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:00:28 EDT

Dear Laurie,
    Nice Regal pictures on your site. Congratulations on growing her from
seed. She does indeed look like a seedling. NOW's the time to make a few
cuttings on her. Cut above the last leaf on any main branches of the plant.
Those branches that branch off weird that were recent flowering stems remove
them. All the way down to the main branches. Open that plant up, let it
breathe. Watch out for sucking bugs on the stem nodes and leaf joints and
around it. Making Regal Tip cuttings is a stand format like zonals
etc....Start in perlite, no heavy soil.

    <<<<<Coincidence Or?>>>>>
    It's not the time that a Regal bloom, blooms, that determines when that
regal plant has already set bloom which occurs in the cooler part of the
season. Setting bloom can occur in the spring time from early Feb through
April, May and June then bloom in August. From my many years or growing
regals the time span that you sowed your seeds tell me that you managed to
set bud before the real warm temperature came on. The weather conditions at
that time allowed for you to set bud and make your August bloom happen. It
takes a regal longer to bloom in shade, filtered sun and grown in doors.
While living in Germany for a couple years this was typically apparent while
growing regals in the house. Blooms came in August if seeds were sowed in
fall. Cuttings were sooner to bloom in late June and early July.
    Your house's air flow, drafts from under the door, window seals, etc.,
will always contribute to cooler areas around the walls of a home and how the
air circulates around a given home. Thus making cooler pockets of air in ones
house. That was why I mentioned putting the plant in a cooler area of the
house for it to set bud and it did, and so lovely a Regal too.
     My main concern while growing Pelargoniums in a cold winter climates was
the coldness near the windows and the outside walls. I would have a
thermometer on the window to monitor temperature changes so if it was too
cold and drafty I would have that bubble insulation handy to keep the
potential of frost damage under check. Of course from time to time I would
loose some pelargoniums from the cold especially closest to the window pane
at night I forgot to put up the insulation or a vacation I took and a freak
storm came  to cool the environment down. Made the house like a ice box.
We'll anyway, Keep up the good work!

Happy pruning!
Cynthia Pardoe