Re: Re: Re: Allbicans ? Florentina?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Re: Allbicans ? Florentina?
  • From: "David Ferguson" <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:19:39 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:19:39 -0700

I think you are correct.  It seems that Florentina usually sends a longer side branch up from low down like most of the "germanicas", and even if it doesn't, the shorter side branches seem to start lower down (I think) be a bit longer and spread a bit more.  The over-all look is a bit looser and less refined in Florentina.  The foliage adds to this affect, since it is usually narrower and a bit less "stiff" looking.

I will have the first Albicans open today (I think), but Florentina will be at least a week away.  I'll try to get some measurements.  Both will probably run a bit small in all measurements here though.

I looked closely at the Albicans buds, and there is perhaps a very very very faint tint of blue in them if the sun hits them just right (but it looks more like a touch of gray).  It is so faint that it could just be my imagination!  I can see no trace of blue in open flowers at all.

As an aside, similar "germanica-esk" plants soon in flower, probably starting today, are Black Night, Eleanor Roosevelt, Susa, and a blue bitone "germanica" for which I don't know a name (the flowers look exactly like a larger version of 'Othello', which it definitely is not).

Interestingly, the foliage of Eleanor and Black looks about the same as that of Florentina, while the foliage of the blue one and Susa look like that of Albicans.  The flowers are not open yet, and the bracts are still mostly green on all of them, so I cannot compare these properly till perhaps tomorrow.

Dave
central NM, ?USDA Zone 8a