Re: Easy ABs

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Easy ABs
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:26:09 -0000

>I wonder if there's anyone from the "slough
> of despond" or anywhere else in hot and humid zone 7 who can tell
us of ABs
> and OGBs that do well here?  My only personal experience was with
> JEWEL OF OMAR for several years (in especially sandy soil).  It
did well,
> but I could never get a pod with seeds from crossing with TBs, so
gave it
> away.

I'm in the 'slough of despair', but from a Zone 7 perspective that
lacks the hot and humid aspect.  However, I would think Betsy
Higgins would have similar conditions to yours.  Also Walter Moores
grows them in Mississippi.  Both should have sufficient hot and
humid conditions to have value for your circumstances.

Chris's list is fascinating.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they
do over several seasons.

JEWEL OF OMAR is a plant that by all rights should always be sterile
used with anything.  It will set pods, but I think rarely.  Boswell
has an introduction from using it as a pod parent.  I obtained two
pods once and was surprised.  No plants resulted from the pods.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links