  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: ORMOHR
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:58:57 -0400

Donald, I don't think that is ORMOHR.  I used to grow it, and it sure didn't look like this lovely one.
The authentic ORMOHR had long, strappy petals, a dull violet color, vaguely similar to the much, much better ELMOHR, but with less substance, and a form I would politely describe as "hang dog."
The only thing one could get excited about ORMOHR was that it was one of if not *the* first of the Mohrs.  Compared to its pure TB contemporaries, it had "fantastic" substance but that is about the only thing one could say about it that was complementary.
This globular blue beauty has got to be from at least the fifties if not later, and probably was a Capitola seedling rather than directly from Wm Mohr itself.  That is, if it is a quarter-bred rather that something more aril than that.
I'd sure like to know what it is when you find out.
I'm about 200 feet higher in elevation than Betsy Higgins, and only a few miles north.  I probably don't have as much control over conditions as she apparently does, but I'm going to try to grow some of the AB's here, and maybe even some pure aril stock just to see if I can.  I'm opening up a space where I can control the summer rain (under the eaves) but not the roots from the neighbor's oaks.  I sent in my dues to the ASI for the first time in about 25 years.  All your beautiful photos have motivated this kid inside of me that once was utterly fascinated by the ancestors of what you are growing.  I may be premature in saying "Thanks" but I'll say it anyway.
Neil Mogensen   z 7 (?) western North Carolina

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links