Re: Furioso & IB fertility

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Furioso & IB fertility
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:35:54 -0700 (PDT)

Will:  I have made many SDB x TB crosses and found many of my own IB's fertile at times.  One year I'd get nothing from a particular plant and on the next year I'd have several pods.  They will be fertile with some cultivars and not others.  It's a very touchy and spotty thing.  The photo I'll include here is an IB that was (Triffid x Chanted) and is fertile when it wants to be.  Marky Smith wrote a wonderful article in the AIS bulletin a few years ago on what she found as fertile IB's.  Not sure what Issue, but it is worth looking up.  Really the only way to do it is to just start trying.  I have yet to get seedlings worth the effort, but really the reason I do it is to learn.  You don't know until you do it and you could easily be surprised.  Some of the most unexpected seedlings have produced the best results.
     And Yes, Furioso is an IB.   Paul Hill

Paul, Is this one an IB? I saw something recently.  In the Tempo Two (Blyth) catalog, they list this:
"Most Intermediate iris are sterile.  A few will set seed or have fertile pollen.
To created new colours and patterns, make crosses between Tall Bearded iris varieties.  Use either type as pod or pollen parent."
I was curious of some thoughts on this.  Email me direct to willwarner@alltel.net, if you prefer, since this is kinda off topic for iris-photo's.  Unless you got a pic of an Intermediate that is fertile. I'm really intersted in Blthe's Shadows Cast and plan to order it from Mid-America.  Anybody have any info on it?   I'd really like to find out which IB's are fertile.  I've tried without luck to get IB HI to take.  It's SA and so vigorous for me, reblooms too, I've been trying to cross it to SDB What Again without luck. This year, I'm gonna try dobbing the pollen on What Again, instead of vice versa, which didn't take last year.  Any thoughts?  Will Warner