Re: Re: Furioso & IB fertility

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Re: Furioso & IB fertility
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:09:33 EDT

Bill,

       I don't want this to turn into 1,000 replies or anything like that.  But this might help:
I know of 5 tetraploid IBs: ANNIKINS (Warburton '67), HALSTON (Tankesley-Clarke '95), MAROON CAPER (Warburton '64.....TET from I. aphylla), REFORMATION (Craig '89), and TAKEOFF (Craig '91).  I had seedlings from 'Annikins' back in the 1990s, but lost them in a flood.  Currently, I have seeds sprouting in my seedbox (from 2003 crosses) from a cross of Takeoff X Sheik, which will be 1/4 ABs, or OGB-.  I grow all 5 of these TET IBs, and they are good growers, and I hope to use all 5 this year if they bloom.  The problem with a lot of IBs is that they come from crosses of SDB and TB.....and thus a lot of infertility among them.  I had seeds from 2 of Marky Smith's IBs last year.....(Starwoman x Pele) and (Sailor x Sheik).....still no signs of germination in the seedbox, but it is still early here.

Elm

Yahoo! Groups Links