Desert Siberian: NOBODY'S PERFECT!!

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Desert Siberian: NOBODY'S PERFECT!!
  • From: ranchiris@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:17:54 EDT

Hi,
    The Tucson Area Iris Society held it's Spring Show on Saturday.  The biggest treat of the whole show was the seedling section.  Due to the fact that things are growing very well in our 2005 Sonoran Desert Trek Gardens, there were several TB seedlings, a bunch of LA seedlings, and a SIBERIAN!!!  Despite the beauty of everything else - this was Best Seedling hands down!  I'm just disappointed that there weren't enough AIS judges there to award it an HC.
     Libby Cross sent a guest plant of her Siberian seedling named NOBODY'S PERFECT here to Tucson, AZ.  When it arrived, I emailed her & said that maybe she didn't understand where this trek was located and was she sure that she didn't want me to send her precious baby back home right away??  She told me to go ahead and give it a try.  So, it was planted at the Forestal Garden near the LA's, tucked in among the rocks and saguaro cactus.
    I told her at the time that, if it would grow and bloom in Tucson, it would deserve the Dyke's Medal!!  Well, lo and behold, thanks to the wonderful care of Joanne Lee Miller, who is responsible for the iris gardens, it has grown, increased, and has a bunch of stalks this 2nd year of growth.
Since our tours will be on the 22nd and 23rd of April, it will most likely be in bloom for the trek next year.
    I am attaching a photo taken at the show - it's not the best, but does show the lovely turquoise in the heart of the bloom.

Kathy Chilton
Trek Chairperson & Guest Iris Chair
Tucson Area Iris Society Sonoran Desert Trek
2005 AIS Region 15 Spring Trek/SLI Convention
14333 S. Stagecoach Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85736
Ph: (520)822-1497
Fax: (520)822-2784