Re: Spuria Photos Request formats

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Spuria Photos Request formats
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:57:50 -0700 (PDT)

A large format can be done in many ways. 72 dpi with a picture size of 20X30 inches is one way. That generally will not create a size too big for e-mails but can be reduced down to a2x3 inch picture with a dpi of 600. 600 dpi is the minimun for quality printing. With Photoshop I can manipulate most photos to get the size of picture on the page and to some degree increase the resolution. But low resolution pictures that look fine on the monitor often do not print as well as expected. Timber Press tells me they try to get every picture at twice the size and 600 dpi so that they can half the size and double the dpi.

Cathy <kittencampi@earthlink.net> wrote:
Robt R Pries wrote:
Work is stalled on the Spuria Checklist but I will still need great, good, or even mediocre pictures. There approximately 700 registered spurias. I have photos sometime 2-3 of about 150 varieties. Many of these are not the best with confusing backgrounds or poor conditions. The goal was to print the first illustrated checklist but no one can understand the amount of work required until they attempt it. Nonetheless with spuria season coming please take those pictures. If possible take them in a large format. The only excuse I have for not being further along is I just revised and updated the SIGNA Checklist and of course there is the Iris Encyclopedia that devours my life and the numerous lectures I do for garden associations. I actually have spent some time in the garden also.
Please be more specific about large format. That could be dimensions or file size.

What a work you are undertaking! It sounds like you will be in a virtual world of Iris for quite some time.

Michael M. Stockton Ca.

Yahoo! Groups Links