put a sock on it

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] put a sock on it
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:07:56 -0600

I wish this were an April Fools joke, but it's not.  It's predicted to get
into the 35F range in the general area tonight.  Since I'm in a valley,
albeit a small hill in the valley, that means it could well drop below 32F.
In either case it's in the range of seeing a hoar frost covering everything
tomorrow.  My experience with buds and hoar frost isn't good, so in spite of
swearing I wouldn't try socks again, there they are.  I've tried it twice
before and it didn't work either time.  Once the dogs removed all of them
for toys and once the temperature dropped so low for a long enough time the
buds froze anyway.  I've already got enough brown and shriveling buds and
I'd really like to see some of the seedlings and others bloom.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA