Re: AB sdlg

In a message dated 4/7/2005 8:28:48 PM Mountain Daylight Time, fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net writes:
I really don’t know why my arilbreds behave as they do.  I only have a half dozen varieties, Heart Stealer, Dawn Caress, Desert Moonlight, Chocolate Mint, Byzantine Art and Wind Rider.  Each clump will bloom all at once, ten to twelve stalks, almost to the point of bloom out.  Each flower only lasts a couple of days even though is usually isn’t too hot in late March when they are at their best.  When they bloom they are spectacular, but then they are gone

Ahhhhh....    Now I get the picture.

All mid-season halfbreds.  If you like arilbreds and have the room, you might want to extend your bloom season by adding a few ABMs, 1/4-breds and 3/4-breds to your collection.   Here an AB flower typically lasts 3 or 4 days, unless desiccated by the wind or not given enough water.

Our iris do "talk" to us, but sometimes it takes a while to understand them.  If your bud count is also less than expected, it's probably because they are hungry.  Many people are careful not to overfeed or overwater their arilbreds, which is a reasonable precaution when they are dormant, but I've found that during bloom season they respond well to all the food & water I can provide to their TB "cousins" -- and that nourishment is the key to producing increase and avoiding bloom out.

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links