Re: color question(s)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: color question(s)
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:28:00 -0000

An excellent question and one I'm working on to find an answer. One
theory I've heard is that orange is an intensification of yellow, but
that doesn't fit the facts. All oranges have the t factor genetically.
I have nmade crosses of orange x orange that produce only orange
seedlings. Thus the parents in this example were homozygous. Pigment
extaction gives me lycopene plus an oil based yellow pigment. I'm not
assuming carotene at this point allthough it is a strong suspect.
Perhaps an xanthophyl, next in the pigment chain fron carotene and
also oil soluble and has been extracted from iris flowers. The usual
pigment in yellow flowers generally.

As to different patterns. I have extracted the yellow pigment from
various orange/pink combinations and found a lycopene remainder. The
luycopene and yellow are distributed differently. And as to why and
how? This is a major mystery as they should be controlled by the same
genes as to pattern and distribution. The facts are clear. The
explination is a complete puzzle. I'm wondering about oranges
operating a amphidiloid rather then a tetraploid, a rather outrageous
attempt to explain this weird phenomenon. Perhaps some appropriate
crosses may show a diploid rather then a tetraploid seperation. If you
could photography all seedlings from this cross and forward to me I'll
check for this possibily fit to results.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Eaves" <donald@e...> wrote:
> How does orange fit in with the 't' factor in relation to yellow and
pink?
> Is it a step in between or is it some kind of combo?  The standards
on this
> seedling are definitely pink toned at the base and up the midrib,
then it
> changes to a pastel orange.  The falls are a vivid canary yellow and
I think
> it clearly is a tangerine beard.  Also, what is the factor that makes
> standards a different color than the falls?  I know about the amoena
bit
> when the standards are white.  Is that at work on, say, an EDITH
WOLFORD