Orange-Yellow is a rare amoena pattern

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Orange-Yellow is a rare amoena pattern
  • From: "Dan Meckenstock" dmeck@eaglecom.net
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:56:15 -0500

You have a very rare amoena pattern, one I could only hypothesis existed until now.  Take good care of it.  It merits the Dykes Medal--I'm serious.  Once folks realize the genetics behind it, you could get voted in.

There are many different amoenas but rarely do you see one with two different pigments in the same pathway. Most usually have one color that is white or one color in the opposite pathway.  See what I mean.

The standards are a little hard to judge, but I'd say they are orange.  The falls are yellow. These are two colors in the carotenoid pathway.

I march to a different drummer than Chuck, but here is my take on the genetics behind your flower. Yellow is dominant to orange, orange is dominant to pink, and pink is dominant to white.  It's that simple and don't forget, its a pathway; colors are supposed to line up as such in a pathway. As for that residual lycopene, well, it is just that.  It is substrate that didn't get converted to beta-carotene.

Anyway, your flower is evidence that duplicate genes (and now duplicate pathways) exist in irises. Put specifically, the standards has one set of pathway genes and the falls has another set of pathway genes.  This is not new, Bliss wrote about this in 1920, but he has somehow been forgotten. Understanding these duplicate genes will go a long way in getting to the bottom of the so called "dominate Inhibitors" but this is another story.

I'm going to stop before I get all the "old school" breeders on my case.

Regards,

Dan

Yahoo! Groups Links