Re: Fw: [iris]CULT:Wipe Out!

  • Subject: Re: Fw: [iris]CULT:Wipe Out!
  • From: "Linda Hunt" <nakihee@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:50:55 -0500

Oh...how I feel the pain of the cold also.  We had a few weeks of temps in the 80s.  Everything breaking bud.  I am seeing damage this year like I have never seen since I moved here 14 years ago.  I had about 30 stalks riddled about the iris beds that were 4 weeks or so early.  Of course, the last 3 nights in the 20's made short work of those.  The crepe myrtles were all budding and they are black and dry.  Even a lot of the perennials that I covered turned to mush in the cold.  The covers were useless.  This area is not able to content with such changes.  Here's hoping that along with all the mushy fans on the iris, the blooms were not developed enough in the rhizomes to hurt those that haven't showed themselves.  Only time will tell!  Until then, start cutting back the mushy leaves and try to keep the faith.

I guess I should be glad that I got to see the dwarfs bloom before the cold hit!  That was a nice splash of color after the daffs and tulips.  I brought in one stalk that was showing color before the the cold "Dizzy Love" and it bloomed inside.  That was the only TB that looked like it was developed enough to open.....so the others were all lost.  I had 9 stalks coming up in a bunch of Best Bet.....my favorite 2 tone blue.  Lost them all.  Well...............the beat goes on!  Good luck to all!
Linda in Lascassas