Re: AB: sdlg - blue/green detail

  • Subject: Re: AB: sdlg - blue/green detail
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:06:43 -0700 (PDT)

That's really cool!

I have just one diploid bearded seedling that has a
little of that same turquoise or green/blue tint on
the midribs of the styles (just like you mentioned for
that one cross of AB seedlings). Mine's from VIBRANT
ROSE (MTB) x CLOWN PANTS (SPEC-X). I don't have a good
picture, but it looks just like the color in yours,
only it's up the center of the style. The rest of the
style is peachy-yellow-beige. My hope is to get that
color out onto the falls and standards. Looks like
your well on your way to achieving that!
I'd considered this before, but seeing your seedling
makes me consider this even more... I wonder if there
might be a yellow pigment or copigment that interacts
with otherwise blue/purple pigment, so that it appears
more greenish-blue. I recall reading somewhere about
flavonols or xanthophylls (or something like that) in
some other kind of flower doing that sort of thing.
Best wishes with your seedlings, Tom