  • Subject: AB: CAIRO LOVE SONG clump
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:11:06 -0500

I call it wearing a cap. For a long time CLS didn't like it here. Then I
put it what I call the sand bed. That is nothing more than my normal,
intractible red clay with the rhizome more or less planted in a 4-5 inch
layer of creek sand on top of the clay. After that it started doing this
bit every year. When I have trouble with a fractious AB, I try to get them
in this situation. They really aren't any easier to establish in the
beginning, but once they manage those planted this way are proving quite
durable and return every year. Lots of trouble hauling that sand out of
the creek. It's not light weight stuff and I still haven't had to rework a
bed yet, but this bed has been trucking along for about five years now and
the plants continue to thrive. I did allow plenty of room.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image