Photo TB: Rave On & Thirps Theories

  • Subject: Photo TB: Rave On & Thirps Theories
  • From: "Linda Smith" <irisgrower@cableone.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:29:58 -0700

Linda M.,
Orange is a favorite color of mine to show up against stucco walls.
 I had good luck w this one last year as to growing it.
It hasn't opened yet this year, but should be soon.
Don't really know how to hybridize yet, nor have the space, but good luck with this one.
Rave On (4
Rave On (9
Rave On (11

    (Schreiner, R. 1990) Sdlg. V 401-3. TB, 36" (91 cm), ML
    Ruffled orange (RHS 23A), creamy white signal; beards tangerine. M 748-C: (K 905-D, Skyfire sib, x J 571-B: (G 1212-A: ((Golden Ice x Celestial Glory) x Flaming Star) x Gold Trimmings)) X China Dragon. Schreiner 1990
As to thirps, I've been pretty lucky this year. I just rinse w plain water. It's my understanding that if they are rinsed to the ground they die. Anyone know if that is true?
All I know is I was just beginning to have a problem, so I turned the sprinkler system on for one night and that pretty much knocked them off my iris.  But if I was trying to get pollen, that method would ruin the pollen.
Someone that came to my garden said for aphids plant nasturiums.  The aphids will go for them rather than the iris.  Never heard that one before. Maybe that works for thirps also?? I do have nasturiums planted this year and I do have less problem.
 The thirps seem to gear towards the darker colors or if there is a darker edge etc.
Those little spiders really have a hay day with them.  Like I said, I could use some more of those little spiders.
Haven't seen many ladybugs nor walking sticks yet this year.  Don't they know there's food out there for them.??
Linda in CW AZ
Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!

JPEG image

JPEG image