Re: Re: HYB sport on sdlg

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB sport on sdlg
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:12:38 -0400

I have had a number of sports here that I have seperated off from
mother plant and saved for awhile. I currently have about four, but
have had many more that are no longer here. A solid red from Apache
Carpet ( red spot on yellow), an ordinary plicata of Batik, and one of
Alpha Gnu. A solid black from Batik, a colour darkening of Fuzzy Face,
a luminata-plicata of Rodeo Clown, and a sport of a seedling that had
purple leaf base when original seedling didn't have purple leaf base.

A few others, but can't remember details right now.

Chuck Chapman

Re: HYB sport on sdlg

Posted by: "Autmirislvr@aol.com"

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:00 pm (PDT)

<<Please save for all of us who say to novices "no,

your irises <can't> change color." ;-)>>

At the same time, lets be honest about how many times this really
happens.? Anyone know the count?? I've heard it's less than 50, but I
can only think of two, the one from Beverly Sills and the one from

Maybe there would be more if people cut them lose so they didn't revert
back.? I don't recall ever seeing one happen in my garden, and I've
grown thousands over the years.?

There are sports that aren't a change of color, but I'm not sure I've
en one.? Anyone know of an example??