Re: Covering Iris unguicularis

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Covering Iris unguicularis
  • From: ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:47:15 -0000

>   >>
> Thanks Paul!!   Didn't know that about them...

The first time I really saw the winter iris was when I was helping out
an owner of a historic house near the town I grew up in.  The garden
was old formal box hedges with rooms and the like, built around a
massive Cedar of Lebanon (not sure species name) that shaded most of
the area.  Full in the shade of it, plus some other hedging plants
that created an arch over the walkway, was a row of winter iris.
Flowered beautifully (except that the peacocks had taken a liking to
the flowers and ate them whenever they got the chance).  From there I
realised that they like full shade.

Only a couple of years ago did I find out that they can tolerate full
sun.  A friend had them out in her back yard in 3 foot wide clumps in
an open back yard.  We get up to 40'c in summer so it isn't mild....
weeks at a time well above the 30'C.  That was when I realised just
how versatile they are.

I then adjusted where I was growing mine accordingly, adding a few
clumps along a path edge (Theres a triple clump planted in a triangle
of Walter Butt, straight species and Blue Stripe, then following along
the path there is Walter Butt, Snow Queen, Blue Stripe, straight
species and then Iris lazica).  Once they mature in a few years more
will be quite stunning.  Once the Iris lazica flowers shortly (same
sort of flower, although smaller and chunkier with thicker foliage) I
shall photograph it and send it here.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia