[PHOTO] CINNAMON STICK | Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:37:15" />

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] CINNAMON STICK
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:35:11 -0500

Spurias go dormant under my conditions, but they tend to start the dormancy
later than the ABs.  Unfortunately, grasshoppers prefer them above all other
irises excepting LAs.  I tried to control the damage from them on the
spurias this year with only mixed success.  That is too bad.  I'm fond of
the tall slender foliage of the spurias and it would be there for another
few weeks before dormancy sets in if the grasshoppers wouldn't rag it so
badly.  I also think the mass damage that starts before they are finished
blooming is one reason they are increasing at such a slow pace.

This will the be last ugly and depressing photo.  I don't enjoy seeing the
iris here at this time of year.  It's still been too hot to dig and replant.
The grasshoppers are still plentiful.  By the time they've gone and the
weather moderates, I won't have enough time to do everything that needs
doing before freezing temperatures set in.  Not good gardening country.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 8, USA