Re: NOT Autumn Twilight

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: NOT Autumn Twilight
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:07:00 -0400

According to Mike Lowe, historic iris guru, the iris that has been
circulating for years as AUTUMN TWILIGHT looks more or less like the
iris whose photo I posted.  Here's an excerpt from the article Mike
wrote for Roots in 1997, posted on the World of Iris website

Conclusion: Autumn Twilight was introduced in 1945, however conflicting
 and color information has been published in catalogs, articles and the
AIS R & Is
 and Check Lists. Two errors in the '71 registration can be shown using
early G. P.
 Brown and L. Austin catalogs.

 The most credible interpretation of the '48 registration would be that
it was a
 seedling that never went further. We can be reasonably sure that there
is, and has
 been, only one Autumn Twilight. Further, it is nearly certain that the
cultivar pictured
 in Austin's catalog and growing in gardens today, is Autumn Twilight
and is
 traceable from the late 40s to the present.

 This article was made possible by help from Libby Cross, Keith Keppel,
 Jordan and Sharon McAllister. MBL

Once again, answering my own question.....hope this hasn't totally bored
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8