tiny rhizomes

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] tiny rhizomes
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:00:24 -0500

We're having a cool spell - at least 93F feels cools compared to what we
been having.  So I've been moving some things.  This OGB- type AB is one.
This plant has been an anomaly and I'm curious.  When it is growing, the
foliage is 4" max.  Usually a seedling that stays so small is simply one
that isn't going to grow and I thought for a time that was the case.  Those,
though, never put on increase and this one did.  It actually makes a tiny
clump of fans.  For perspective I put the watch on the salad plate which is
6 1/2" in diameter.  I've been growing this since spring of 2002 and it's
never bloomed, but it has survived and every spring it has put on increase.
I figured it probably fried this year, but when I dug it up it shows to be
only dormant.  I'm not interested in small irises particularly, but I'm
curious about this fellow.  After all, it's 3/4 TB so why in the world is it
this tiny?  It may never bloom.  This is the first move since it came out of
the pot.  I guess I'll keep growing it until it either blooms or expires.
It sure doesn't take up much room.  Like everything else here, it did suffer
this summer and I tossed a few dried up rhizomes that were between the two
clumps left in the photo.  Still, there are nine rhizomes that are alive
with the largest barely 1/4" across.  I just can't figure why such a cross
would produce this.  It had a couple of siblings which were more normal for
the type of cross, but didn't survive the first year.  This one, that has a
lot of aril characteristics in the rhizomes, just keeps surviving.  Maybe
the move will finish it off.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links