RE: HYB: Black irises (Anthrocyanin sidetracked)

  • Subject: RE: HYB: Black irises (Anthrocyanin sidetracked)
  • From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@qwest.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:35:24 -0700

Thanks for the comment, Griff.  The cross is Wearing Rubies X Epicenter.

Over two dozen bloomed from that cross last year.  I kept the two blackest ones and the two with the best branching and bud count.  This was one of the blackest ones that this year also had good branching and adequate bud count.

I am hoping for some rebloomers from that cross.  I went away out on a limb and crossed the earliest blooming ones with my white Cloud Reflection, hoping to strengthen the rebloom and get some nice light reds or pinks.  Do I now understand that all the seedlings will be black?  Well a reblooming black with CR’s form and vigor wouldn’t be bad.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9