Re: Crickets
  • Subject: Re: Crickets
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:56:37 -0400

Judy  --  I'm sorry to hear of your cricket damage.  Yes, they are voracious iris rhizome eaters.  The first clue is usually when you see what looks like a mini-teaspoon scoop out of the top of a rhizome.  Strangely, they appear to like some varieties more than others.  I have successfully deterred them with the use of diatomaceous earth.  You can find it, under that name, at your hardware store.  Sprinkle it on the garden according to the directions, and I think you will reduce your cricket population to non-threatening proportions, if not eliminate them altogether.  --  Griff