RE: Light Beam Seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: Light Beam Seedling
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: 5 Dec 00 00:03:35 EST

This is a seedling of Light Beam X Idea. Idea is a SDB with a yellow ring on
white ground. It may very well be a plicata. It has very faint violet plicata
dotting when you look at it closely and it does have a least one plicata gt
grandparent. Light Beam (Broadway X Beverly Sills) has been classified as a
yellow plicata but with many skeptics. Of note is that both paaarents are
yellow on white. This plant is a violet-blue plicata on a yellow rim. This
results in ruby standards and a ruby rim on the falls. Note that where the
yellow rim ends the colour is violet on white and where the yellow rim is
present the colour is ruby. This leaves no doubt that Light Beam is a plicata
but doesn't really answer what we are seeing. I will post another photo  of
another plant from this cross when I have it properly set up. It is yellow on
white and looks like a stitched yellow on white when seen in person but in the
photo shows as a yellow rim.
Food for thought.

eGroups eLerts