Re: Aurora Sea

--- In iris-photos@egroups.com, ciris@q... wrote:
> Chuck Chapman requested that we post this picture of Aurora
> Sea so he could comment on it. Digital photo taken at C.
> Iris On Pond by Ken Coleman.
> Carol Coleman
> Region 11 Zone 5
> Boise, Idaho

This is a ringed fancy plicata with the same ring that came from Soft
Air. Probably with the ring factor just once. While registered as a
MDB by height, it seems to be gentically SDB, with parents Chubby
Cheek X (Sam x Auburn Valley). Thus would have the chromosomes sets
8/8/12/12. The plicata genes would be "pla pla pla plu" that is one
luminata gene and three glaciata genes. When crossed to a glaciata ,
such as Eramosa Snowball, would produce 1/2 glaciatas and 1/2 fancy
plicatas. The ring would be passed on to 1/4 of the offspring.

Crossed to a luminata would produce 1/2 luminatas and 1/2 fancy
plicatas. Crossed to another fancy plicata would produce 1/4
glaciatas, 1/4 luminatas and 1/2 fancy plicatas.

This gives an iris available which offers good breeding potential for
those intersted in these factors.

Note that these are all based on my current understanding of plicata
types, and hasn't yet been proven. Also note that with the ring factor
there will be some dark veins on hafts which compromise the definition
of luminata and glaciata , which by definition shouldn't have these
marks. The plants without the ring factor will not have these marks,
but will act the same re plicata genetics as the ringed flowers.

If someone who has  this plant  wishes to do a test cross and keep
track of number and type of offspring, I will provide either glaciata
or fancy plicata pollen. My bloom time for SDB is mid May to early

Thanks Carol and Ken for your assistance.