Re: Aurora Sea- CORRECTION

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Aurora Sea- CORRECTION
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 04:39:21 -0000

--- In iris-photos@egroups.com, irischapman@n... wrote:
> --- In iris-photos@egroups.com, ciris@q... wrote:
> > Chuck Chapman requested that we post this picture of Aurora
> > Sea so he could comment on it. Digital photo taken at C.
> > Iris On Pond by Ken Coleman.
> > Carol Coleman
> > Region 11 Zone 5
> > Boise, Idaho
>
> This is a ringed fancy plicata with the same ring that came from
Soft
> Air. Probably with the ring factor just once. While registered as a
> MDB by height, it seems to be gentically SDB, with parents Chubby
> Cheek X (Sam x Auburn Valley). Thus would have the chromosomes sets
> 8/8/12/12. The plicata genes would be "pla pla pla plu"

CORRECTION: The plicata genes would be "pl plu pla pla", that is, one
regular plicata gene, one luminata gene and two glaciata genes. When
crossed to a glaciata such as Eramosa Snowball, would produce 1/2
narrow rimmed plicatas and 1/2 stripped type plicatas. At times it
would not be especially clear which is which.

 The ring would be passed on to 1/4 of the offspring. Assuming ring
factor is only from one parent.

> Crossed to a luminata would produce 1/2 luminatas and 1/2 fancy
> plicatas. Crossed to another fancy plicata would produce

CORRECTION:1/4 regular SDB plicatas, 1/2 fancy plicatas and 1/4
luminatas

> This gives an iris available which offers good breeding potential
for
> those intersted in these factors.
>
> Note that these are all based on my current understanding of plicata
> types, and hasn't yet been proven. Also note that with the ring
factor
> there will be some dark veins on hafts which compromise the
definition
> of luminata and glaciata , which by definition shouldn't have these
> marks. The plants without the ring factor will not have these marks,
> but will act the same re plicata genetics as the ringed flowers.
>
> If someone who has  this plant  wishes to do a test cross and keep
> track of number and type of offspring, I will provide either
glaciata
> or fancy plicata pollen. My bloom time for SDB is mid May to early
> June.
>
> Thanks Carol and Ken for your assistance.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/503733/_/977200773/