  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Re: HYB - UMBATA
  • From: Chad Schroter <chad.schroter@quantum.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:10:12 -0800

	I had to reread the original message before a few things sank in...
In looking at these bands they appear to always show the color of the
standards, which could be termed the 'background' color. In Barry's catalog
I see variants which are dark blue as your example with minimal carotenoids
etc., more reddish purple (maroon or deep rose) reflecting more
carotenoids/less antho and also brownish - reflecting a small dose of
antho's and strong carotenoid. So the fall edge rim pattern does not appear
to be selective of one source of pigment vs. another. When crosses are made
where each parent carries this pattern and both also contain the antho and
carotenoid pigments do the seedlings show the pattern in several color forms
? For example I'm wondering if a Tom Johnson x Copatonic cross could yield
some offspring that looked like Copatonic (in a range of colors) or would
they be restricted to blues like your seedling ?

Chad Schroter