Re: Iris ID's

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Iris ID's
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:42:17 EST

In a message dated 12/20/2001 12:58:16 PM Central Standard Time,
hensler@povn.com writes:

<< 3. When you find a possible identity, order named starts from at least 2
 other growers and grow the plants side by side for comparison. Plan on
 getting comparisons for at least 2 years so you can see how they react to
 changing weather conditions. >>>

This method has worked for me.  Many years ago I bought a start of an iris,
sworn to rebloom in our area, from our local society.  Let's say it was named
XX.  Within a year or so I bought CORN HARVEST and as luck would have it I
planted them side by side.  The two irises grew to the same height, had the
same branching & bud count.  They looked so much alike that I suspected a
misidentification with XX.

I sent away for more rhizomes of XX to do the testing.  When it bloomed, the
only thing they had in common was the color yellow, and even the shade of
yellow was different.  Fortunately, I also grew a sib to the real XX and they
shared a trait . . . a tucked fall.

<< If your unknown has exactly the same bloom time and the exactly the same
 type of presentation, the same growth habit and the same details in rhizome,
 roots, stalk, texture, fertility, etc., you just might be able to identify
 it. The trick is to be extremely aware of the smallest detail that doesn't
 match. >>

The smallest detail that cinched this match for me was the veining.  Anyway
you counted them . . . my original XX and CORN HARVEST are the same.  For ten
years, I've been unable to convince those in the club that my test was
correct.  Until recently, they continued to sell the iris by the wrong name.
They still would if they hadn't discarded it completely.

Betty from BG KY USA Zone 6

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM