Re: Identification help!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Identification help!
  • From: John I Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:09:16 -0800

mary beiler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a photographer for San Diego Home/Garden
> magazine. I need help
> identifying three irises. I thought the blue one might
> be Glistening Icicle
> and the pink and apricot might be Sweet Musette. I
> have no idea what the
> magenta one could be. Any help or direction you could
> give me with this
> would be wonderful. Thank you for you time!
>
> Mary Beiler

Hi Mary,

Please believe me whan I say that I am not picking on you specifically,
(and here I get up on my soap box) but we have to be very careful about
trying to identify irises from pictures, especially digital ones. There
are lots of reasons, and I would be glad to go into them if you like.
The only real way to ID a particular iris is to grow your unknown next
to what you think it is, and compare them in the garden.

However in this case you may have a better chance. Assuming that you got
the names from the gardener where you took the picture, then comparing
to a catalog or digital picture would give you higher confidence (but
not certainty) in the name. If however your proposed names came from
looking at a catalog, then you have no hope of identifying them and to
promulgate a name would be an disservice to your readers.

I am sure that a number of members on this list could provide you with
additional print quality, identified, pictures for the magazine.

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: