Re:PHOTO:ComeToMe X FashionDesigner:Mike Sutton

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:PHOTO:ComeToMe X FashionDesigner:Mike Sutton
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:05:20 -0500

Mike--looking at the pedigree and description of Come To Me it appears it may be a glaciata/yellow amoena, or something quite close to it.  Is that possible?
Even if not, there's plenty of plicata ancestry behind Come to Me.  The seedling (a beauty, by the way--I like the looks of it very much!) sure does look like a bicolor/zonal or a darned close approach to one.
Chapman speculates that a zonal is lu-lu-lu-lu or lu-lu-lu-la--chopping off the "p" on all the plicata alleles. I don't know what the genetic makeup of Fashion Designer is--if it is a dominant "white" (I-white) blocking the _expression_ of whatever anthocyanin pattern is present, almost anything could be true.  Your seedling, if it is a zonal, and it sure does look like one, indicates that so is Fashion Designer underneath the dominant Inhibitor.
A lot of t-beardeds carry plicata alleles.  They have been cropping up in pink crosses right from the beginning of the Hall line pinks.
One might note that one of the key ancestors of the Loomis seedlings behind SEASHELL was a plicata.
What were the siblings of this seedling you posted like?
Neil Mogensen z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=162573256