Re:HYB:Zonals:Matrix:Betty and whoever else is interested

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:HYB:Zonals:Matrix:Betty and whoever else is interested
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:33:16 -0500

I posted a note yesterday or the day before that got buried in the "Thread" sorting in the archives.  It's easier to find with the "Date" sort.  I don't even remember whether it was on Iris-photos or Iris-talk.
The point--and it is worth going back and finding that post, I think--is that nearly all pinks have a chance of carrying plicatas.  They showed up repeatedly in David Hall's pink seedlings, but never were good enough, as I understand it, to be worth pursuing.
The origin of all this is behind MOROCCO ROSE and SEASHELL (one word or two, depending on where you look).  Dr. Loomis in Colorado produced three bombshell progenitors of the pinks--the two above, and SQ-72, later registered by Melba Hamblen as PIKE'S PEAK PINK.
The very foundation of this pink breeding line--or line of pink breeders--was in a cross of two seedlings, one a plicata, the other a variegata.  I'm not sure which is which, but W. J. Fryer x Ricardi (one of the collected tetraploids) was one of the grandparental crosses, and the other was from Lent A. Williamson x Unknown.
I could make a wry remark about how many times "Unknown" has been used as a parent, but....not funny.
This Lent A. Williamson x Unknown is also given for the parentage of DOLLY MADISON.  Lent A. Williamson is shown as from Amas x ......., but I have seen, probably in TWOI, a diploid named as the (probable) pollen parent.  I have seen speculation, I think, although I am uncertain where....possibly in L. F. Randolph, et. al., eds, *Garden Irises* that Amas and Ricardi may be the same clone, or at least both the same species, although no one can say for sure which.  Amas is still around--even Schreiners list it!
The four foundation breeders in the Hall line (although others were involved) were W. R. DYKES, DOLLY MADISON,  MOROCCO ROSE and PRAIRIE SUNSET. I might mention that Hall lived and did his iris breeding in a suburb north of Chicago near the shores of Lake Michegan, and Orville Fay was just north of him in the next one or two suburbs.  Morocco Rose either has about the same breeding as Seashell, or is from a cross of Seashell with a red seedling from Lent A. Williamson, depending on which source you read.
Some of the first from these include GOLDEN EAGLE and a seedling #39-62, a pinkish blend I believe, which is the pollen parent of several of the 42-xx seedlings, the shell pinks.
Now--back to Colorado.  Dr. Loomis got SEASHELL right at the beginning--something like second generation away from his first crosses in this line.  Seashell pollen on Purissima is believed to be the ancestry of SQ-72/Pike's Peak Pink.  One of the parents of Purissima is Conquistador--which is also one of the parents of both SAN FRANCISCO and LOS ANGELES, both plicatas.  That implies that there may be one, less likely two doses of plicata in Purissima.
Loomis sent SQ-72 (I can't help calling it that--I had it and used it under seedling number, not name) to Tell Muhlestein in Provo, Utah.
Tell also got GOLDEN EAGLE and some of David Hall's 42-xx seedlings which he used extensively.  Later he also sent Tell some of the 44-xx seedlings, a couple of which he later also passed on to me.
Tell crossed Hall's Golden Eagle with Loomis' SQ-72/Pike's Peak Pink and got PINK TOWER and PINK FORMAL.
Now, if you followed all that trail of interrelationships, all of the Hall, Fay and the Utah pinks (Tell, Melba Hamblen, etc.) have this Loomis work at their very foundation--and one of the parents involved was a plicata.
If you look at the HIPS site Dykes list and click on pedigree for BEVERLY SILLS or for VANITY, or for JUNE MEREDITY, or for CHERIE, you can see all this history laid out in graphic form.
I saw it asserted on either Iris-talk or Iris-photos in the past few days that Vanity is a glaciata--and I think it was Chuck Chapman who said it--and he would know.
In any event, Light Beam demonstrates that Beverly Sills (the iris) carries at least two plicata genes (alleles).
When we say "plicata" referring to the genetics, think of it as a generic term for plicata, luminata, and glaciata (and zonal, if it involves still another allele) all as a series, any one of which will do as a "plicata" gene.
In fact, with this ancestry I am pointing out, I don't think I would be amiss in saying that almost *anything* with a tangerine beard may carry plicata genes.
The reason I say "almost" is that not all tangerine beards come directly from this complex.  The ancestry of Sass' FLORA ZENOR is kindred, however.  It is from Dore X ......., Dore being from Wambliska x Rameses.  Wambliska is from the same parents as Purissima; Rameses is one parent of Prairie Sunset.  Sound familiar?  Same ancestors as all the rest of the pinks.  Flora Zenor doesn't figure very heavily in later generations for a good reason--you had to swallow twice before reaching out with the tweezers.  At least that was my own reaction.
The Lapham pink line traces back in part to SPINDRIFT, which is from Dr. Loomis' pinks also, so even the Lapham pinks are related to the rest of them.
Now, all that is a head full of stuff.  The one significant point here, however, is that plicata alleles can be scattered all the way through tangerine bearded lines.  They all without exception trace back either to a plicata or to a plicata carrier--Conquistador.
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2495208/rand=148196887