CULT: Seed planting (cont.)

  • Subject: CULT: Seed planting (cont.)
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:54:55 -0500

The pots are put in a wooden frame and covered with about an inch of pine straw (white pine needles), which does not compact.  This protects the pots from direct rainfall and from freeze-and-thaw, both of which cause seeds to surface and fail to germinate.  In the spring, the sprouts poke up through the pine straw and it can be easily removed. The pine straw can be seen at right in the photo.  The plastic "chicken wire" lid works fine, is durable, and is easier to work with than the real thing.  That's to keep the critters from digging in the pots.

Space is something I have to conserve, so small lots of seeds will share the same pot.  The red plastic dividers can be seen in some of the pots.

It is important to keep the seeds damp.  I should have mentioned that I soaked the dried seeds for between 5 and 10 days just before potting them, finishing it off with a few seconds' hard rinse in a washing machine lint trap under the tap, and they were moist when potted.  We had a nice, gentle rainfall the night after I put out the pots.  During the winter, if a week goes by without rain or snow, I'll water them just enough to keep them damp.  --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group