Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 23:58:50 -0500

This year I had about 96% seed germination.

Seeds placed into pantyhose legs, each pod with it's own marker, and tied offf

Seeds  in panty hose soaked in water and rinsed, once a day. Several rinses of water and pantyhose squeezed. earch day.

Seeds then put with damp peat moss, into  small plastic baggies. Peat moss soaked, and when used, squeezed out so just damp.

Peat moss has something that helps seeds germinated. It has been tested experimentally  several times. And when just damp, can hold air, which is essential for germination, as seeds need to breath.When wraped in damp paper  seed can sometimes be deprived of air and suffocate.

Then into fridge at about 4C or 38C. After about 2-3 months, seeds have germinated.

Out of about 150  pods of bearded iris, only about 5 had less then about  90% germination.

The beardless (siberian, pseudacorous, versicolor)  had only about 10% germination, but about 100% within a week of being planted in soil.

Chuck Chapman