HYB: not quite rebloom
  • Subject: HYB: not quite rebloom
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:24:03 -0500

I thought that I had lucked out when this seedling, 092U5 (Haunting X Fiery Temper), showed just about 1/16th of an inch of near-black color before a forecast freeze.  I knew if it froze, I wouldnât see it, so I cut it and brought it in.  (There was too much increase to dig and pot.)  But nature didnât smile, and after a week the stem began to shrivel while only about 1/2 inch of color was showing.  So, I removed the bud and unwrapped it.  The attached photo shows the result.  (Youâll get a sharper image if you click on the photo rather than on âview slide showâ.)  I donât know whether these are the colors that will be seen in the spring or whether the fallsâ color develops fully as it emerges into the light.  At any rate, an ugly duckling now, but hoping for a swan.  --  Griff

JPEG image