Re: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 21:53:36 EST

After stratification, the seed coat is usually soft enough to scrape a small piece off of the end with the aril (collar) using my thumbnail.  This exposes the endosperm and usually the point at which the embryo will break through is clearly visible.  If not, I can usually feel the tiny bump with my fingertip.  Then I use a single-edge razor blade to cut off a paper-thin slice and reveal the embryo.
I stored seeds in small manila envelopes, like the one shown fastened to the side of the refrigerator dish, labeled with cross, year, and number of seeds.  In this dry climate, it isn't necessary give them any special treatment to keep them dry.
Sharon McAllister