Re: REB: seedling that froze, first attempt at rebloom

Linda  --  This is a pretty iris.  If it were my seedling, I think Iâd send it to a grower in a warmer area to see whether it might rebloom earlier.  Meanwhile, Iâd certainly use it in my own breeding.  Some of my introductions which are vulnerable to early freezes here bloom a month earlier just a couple of hundred miles further south and do very well in the southwest.  I consider them a success even if they give more frequent and longer pleasure to others than they do here in their home ground.   --  Griff
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:07 AM
Subject: [iris-photos] REB: seedling that froze, first attempt at rebloom [1 Attachment]

This is a spring photo of a seedling that (I think) tried to rebloom
this fall, too late to open. I say "I think" because I was slow to get
the cross lined out and they had gotten crowded, grandmother rhizomes
gone, so no longer connected, and while not all rhizomes bloomed this
spring, enough bloomed for me to see that not all that I thought were
the same got in the right group. There are several from this cross to
evaluate further and/or being used for breeding.

Final Episode X (Tea Leaves x Matrix)

This is the only one from the cross that has tried to rebloom so far -
one stalk cut down by the first hard freeze in November, discovered that
another stalk on a different rhizome has been trying to grow since then.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b