Re: Irisgirl how grand!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Irisgirl how grand!
  • From: "Francesca R. Thoolen" <irisgirl@attbi.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 06:13:14 -0800

Hi Bill, The first iris I saw was about 1960 or earlier. It was a tall
bearded and 'brown'. It was given to me among others by a friend's mother so
I was about 39. It promptly died after bloom due to 'abuse', i.e., it was
planted on an uphill slope with the growing end facing outward so the poor
plant couldn't go anywhere and whatever water it did get was minimal. I was
working at the University of California Library at the time so I went to the
stacks to find out all about irises and why it didn't make it. I learned
about the American Iris Society's bulletins and did I read! So there you are
... and by way, there are a lot of those things you mention I did not see
happen, my mother did!

Francesca
irisgirl@attbi.com